With companies like Apple, Tesla, and Continental Airlines making headlines with their initiatives to cut down their carbon footprints, smaller businesses often forget just how much they can do to reduce waste and emissions at their offices. Sure, Apple can afford solar panels that cover a staggering area, but perhaps the daily changes your business can make can place you in the same category of caring for the future of our earth. In celebration of Earth Day, we want you to test your business's environmental impact by inviting you to take our quiz to find out how green you really are.
Each time you answer All the time to a question below, give yourself 4 points. If you answer Sometimes, give yourself 2 points, and if you answer Never, give yourself 0 points. Add your score at the end to determine your "Green" rating according to TradePost!
- My office uses solar panels.
- We print emails only when necessary.
- We use recycled paper and other office materials.
- We have energy efficient sinks or we turn the faucet all the way off to prevent dripping.
- We have motion detector lights in rooms that are frequently unoccupied.
- We print on both sides of the paper.
- We recycle all recyclable materials.
- We use high efficiency toilets.
- We invoice clients and pay vendors electronically.
- We hire local candidates only, allow our commuters to work from home, or facilitate carpools for commuters.
- We use heat and air conditioning only when necessary.
- We pack items in smaller containers for shipping.
- Our company vehicle is a hybrid or electric model.
- We properly dispose of batteries and other toxic waste.
- We keep a company garden and/or compost.
- We have energy-efficient appliances in our break room.
- We use our own mugs for coffee and dishes for food rather than paper products.
- We discuss new environmental efforts in staff meetings.
- We do community service projects that benefit the environment.
- We have environmentally minded employees.
Now score yourself!
0 to 30 points – Not so green.
Your office is busy, and it is tough to make time to pay attention to the environment. However, you should consider putting forth a little more effort as some of these things will save you money in the long run. Start with the easy ones – like reducing paper use and recycling – and build from there.
31 to 60 points – Doing fairly well.
You may not have solar panels or a hybrid vehicle, but you and you staff do try to reduce waste and help the earth. Keep going and soon your business will be a real friend of the environment!
61 to 80 points – Green Superstars!
Your staff really knows how to be conscious of our great planet. You're doing a lot as a business owner or manager and you should keep up the good work!
Being green doesn't mean that you have to keep up with every latest option for your space or never print an email. It just means that you and your staff are working toward reducing the amount of waste at your office and helping to save a great environment for our children and their children. If you need more tips on how to make your workplace more environmentally friendly, read this great article from Office Depot!
Readers: What green effort are you most proud of at your workplace?